Wednesday, March 07, 2007

College Personal Finance Classes

I hope that by the time I get to college that personal finance courses will be a requirement as in this article:

Recent college graduate Erica Brooks wasn't exactly overcome with excitement when she decided to take a course in personal financial planning during her final semester at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

"I thought, 'That's really boring,'" she recalled. "That's what parents are for."

Nearly three years later, Brooks considers those lessons in debt management, retirement planning and prudent spending some of her most valuable college experiences.


It doesn't surprise me even at this early age that real life classes would have a huge impact for those going out into the world on their own for the first time (^_^)

3 comments:

Rad said...

I graduated with a degree in finance and investments, and was not required to take any personal finance courses. I had teach myself pretty much everything regarding personal finance. I believe parents should play a role butit would be great if it was a requirement by the school.

Rad said...

I graduated with a degree in finance and investments and did not take a single course in personal finance. I had to teach myself pretty much everything involving, IRA's, 401Ks, estate planning, so on and so forth. I believe should play a role in these teachings but it would be great if the schools made it a requirement, I believe as early as high school would be great.

L. Marie Joseph said...

Your blog is a good resouce for us bloggers with kids